Military Benefits

Every veteran who was honorably discharged from military service is eligible to receive:

  1. An American flag that is suitable for covering a casket and use in ceremonies.
  2. A headstone for an unmarked grave:
    • Flat bronze 12" x 24"
    • Flat Marble or granite - 12" x 24" x 4"
    • An upright marble - 13" x 42" x 4"
    • A bronze niche marker - 8½" x 5½ "
  3. Military Honors at a funeral or memorial or graveside ceremony. Provided by either an active service detail or a local veterans. Flag folding and presentation and taps. A firing squad is also possible. When a funeral or memorial service is not held, the family may wish to add the deceased's name to a list for a military honors ceremony held quarterly by the Idaho National Guard at the I Am An American Memorial at the Idaho State Veterans Home in Lewiston.
  4. Burial or interment in a veteran's cemetery, state or national. The closest is in Medical Lake, Washington. There is also a new state cemetery in Boise.

Does the VA Pay for a Veteran's Burial?

What are VA Burial Allowances?

VA burial allowances are partial reimbursements of an eligible veteran's burial and funeral costs. When the cause of death is not service related, the reimbursements are generally described as two payments: (1) a burial and funeral expense allowance, and (2) a plot or interment allowance.

Who Is Eligible?

You may be eligible for a VA Burial Allowance if:

  1. You paid for a veteran's burial or funeral, AND
  2. You have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the deceased veteran's employer, AND
  3. the veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.

In addition, at least ONE of the following conditions MUST be met:

  • the veteran died because of a service-related disability, OR
  • the veteran was receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death, OR
  • the veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation, but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay, OR 
  • the veteran died while hospitalized by VA, or while receiving care under VA contract at a non-VA facility, OR
  • the veteran died while traveling under proper authorization and at VA expense to or from a specified place for the purpose of examination, treatment, or care, OR
  • the veteran had an original or reopened claim pending at the time of death and has been found entitled to compensation or pension from a date prior to the date or death, OR
  • the veteran died on or after October 9, 1996, while a patient at a VA-approved state nursing home.

How Much Does the VA Pay?

Service-Related Death. VA will pay up to $2,000 toward burial expenses for deaths on or after September 11, 2001. VA will pay up to $1,500 for deaths prior to September 10, 2001. If the veteran is buried in a VA national cemetery, some or all of the cost of transporting the deceased may be reimbursed.

Nonservice-Related Death. VA will pay up to $300 toward burial and funeral expenses and a $300 plot-interment allowance for deaths on or after December 1, 2001. The plot-interment allowance is $150 for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. If the death happened while the veteran was in a VA hospital or under VA contracted nursing home care, some or all of the costs for transporting the veteran's remains may be reimbursed.


National Council For Aging Care. If your late spouse or parent was served during wartime, you may qualify for the survivors pension. This tax-free compensation is for unmarried children or a low-income widow or widower who has not remarried. The deceased must be an honorably discharged veteran who served at least 90 days of active service, with at least one day during a wartime period, by September 7, 1980. After that date, that veteran must have served at least 24 months or the full period called or ordered to serve active duty. At least one day of this must have been during wartime.

To receive a survivor’s pension for a deceased parent, a child must be either under 18 or under 23 if attending a VA-approved school or permanently incapable of self-support due to a childhood disability. Download and mail the completed VA Form 21-534EZ, “Application for DIC, Death Pension, and/or Accrued Benefits” to your state Pension Management Center or turn it into your local regional benefit office.

Pensions are based on yearly family income, which must be under the amount Congress has determined for you to qualify. Learn the full details of military pension eligibility at the VA website.

The staff at Malcom's Brower-Wann Funeral Home will always help complete the appropriate Veterans Administration forms in order to receive the benefits for which you are eligible.

Business Hours & Directions

Business Hours

Sunday: By Appointment

Monday: 8:00am - 5:00pm

Tuesday: 8:00am - 5:00pm

Wednesday: 8:00am - 5:00pm

Thursday: 8:00am - 5:00pm

Friday: 8:00am - 4:00pm

Saturday: By Appointment

map View larger map
1711 18th Street
Lewiston, Idaho 83501
(208) 743-4578